Design Realization Garage (DRG)
About the DRG
Design Tech High School is excited to announce the opening of a fabrication space affectionately known as the Design Realization Garage (DRG). The DRG is a shared, interdisciplinary space for making that is built around the principles of being easily accessible, rapid, and inspiring.
Need for a Design Realization Garage
All throughout D.tech, students have expressed a need for making. Whether at home or within classes, students continue to voice a need to turn their curiosities into realities. Enabling the tinkering mentality, our vision for the DRG will allow our 300 incredible 9th & 10th graders to do four things:
- Build things to better understand their core curriculum i.e. Create a 3D model of a city for geometry class.
- Conduct rapid prototyping for their Design Lab elective class i.e. Design and create a functioning whiteboard spinner wheel to help save time making easy decisions, like "Where should we go for lunch today?"
- Be a part of workshops to learn maker skills i.e. creating furniture to understand woodworking.
Have access to amazing tools to create the projects they are passionate about i.e. a 3D printed enclosure and circuitry for a portable battery pack utilizing rechargeable AA batteries.
Access to Equipment, Hours, and Policies
All students must attend a general shop orientations, which defines DRG rules, policies, and best practices as well as identifies various resources to consult for additional training and information, before gaining access to the tools and equipment.
The following DRG equipment is available for use and checkout:
- Various rapid prototyping materials (cardboard, plastics, foam, wood, etc.)
- Compound miter saw
- Band Saw
- Chop Saw
- Table Saw
- Belt Sander
- Arduinos & Shields
- Two 3D Printers
- Laser Cutter
- PCB Mill
- Power supplies
- Soldering stations
- Various electronic components (resistors, capacitors, LEDs, wire, etc.)
- Webcams (GoPro)
Staffed hours are held in the DRG from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM to ensure students can access any necessary assistance. Volunteers are welcome.
Help us empower the next generation of design thinkers, tinkerers, makers, and creators! To make this possible, we would appreciate any donated materials, tools, software, and/or equipment. As a public high school, we are a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization, ID# 463705620.
DRG Director, Founding Team
DRG Instructional Assistant